"Emily is a gem. Working with her on Rainshadow World was a great pleasure. She embraced the vision and thematic approach of the book and brought her extensive experience in writing, editing, and publishing to the project. She was thorough, thoughtful and meticulous. Her keen sense of continuity and clarity made the manuscript stronger and more meaningful. I highly recommend Emily’s services."
Author Susan Vernon
Rainshadow World - A Naturalist’s Year in the San Juan Islands
Emily has been a joy to work with. She was thorough and made our encounters fun. She has a wonderful spirit and was able to make suggestions in a kind and thoughtful way. I look forward to working with her in the future.
Author Jim Lawrence
Callused Hands Hungry Heart
Emily Reed edited my book, Day Breaks Over Dharamsala, (2011 Nautilus Award winner) with skill and sensitivity. She honored the quirkiness of my writing "voice" even when it drifted into incomplete sentences and she honored the rules of writing when it really mattered. She was perceptive about my feelings, responsive to my writing, and adamant about the reader's right to consistency, clarity and perfect punctuation. She is a writer's editor: totally trustworthy, diplomatically gifted and a consummate grammar queen. I will be forever grateful."
Author Janet Thomas
Day Breaks Over Dharamsala
The Battle in Seattle: The Story Behind and Beyond the WTO Demonstrations.
A Freelance Editing Service For Writers of All Genres and Skills
I live on San Juan Island, north of Seattle, in a unique and beautiful environment where eagles soar over tall cedars. Writers, artists, musicians and actors thrive here.
My goal in editing is to preserve the authenticity of your voice. I consider it a privilege to share in your creativity.
Non-fiction: travel, memoirs, contemporary issues, history, art books and academic manuscripts.
Fiction: novels, short stories.
- Content Editing (style, flow, organization)
- Copy Editing (grammar, spelling, punctuation)
Send me 5-10 pages of your work, via e-mail or hard copy, and the total number of pages in your manuscript. I will edit the pages and return them to you with an estimate for editing your complete manuscript. Rates are available upon request. Feel free to phone or e-mail me to discuss your work and/or questions you may have.
Writing & Editing Experience
- 2009 - present: Editor of memoirs, a naturalist's journal, novels, historical writing, travel guides, a veterinarian's narrative and more, Member of Northwest Independent Editors Guild.
- 1991 - present: Author/publisher of Emily’s Guide & Maps to the San Juan Islands, WA, 10th Edition.
- 1996 - 2005: Art Columnist for the Islands' Weekly, a local newspaper.
About Emily Reed
- B.S. University of Wisconsin at Madison.
- M.A. Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
- 1957 - 1960: Activities Adviser - San Francisco State College and Chico State College, CA.
- 1960 - 1972: Assistant/Associate Dean of Students - University of California at Berkeley.
- 1973 - 1990: Counselor/teacher - Friday Harbor High School, San Juan Island.
Contact Emily Reed
phone: 360-378-2750 • e-mail: email@example.com • mail: P.O. Box 121 Friday Harbor, WA 98250